Surgical Technician Schools in San AntonioSurgical technicians assist the surgical staff during surgical procedures and complex operations. Under the supervision of surgeons, physicians and nurses, they prepare patients for surgery, and prepare the surgical equipment and operating room used for surgery. During procedures, they monitor equipment and hand surgeons surgical tools. Becoming a surgical technician can be accomplished with about two years of training and obtaining certification.
Find Accredited Surgical Technician Schools in San AntonioSurgical technology schools are accredited by two organizations: the Commission on the Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs and the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools. Completion of one of these programs results in a certificate or associate’s degree in surgical technology. Texas is currently one of few states in the United States to regulate the training of surgical technicians.
The Commission on the Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs and the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools accredited three education programs in San Antonio. They include the Condorde Career College, the Baptist Health Systems School of Health Professions and Brown Mackie College.
How to Get Certified in San AntonioTexas requires surgical technicians to obtain a surgical technologist certification to practice professionally. To obtain certification, surgical technicians must complete an accredited educational program or a military training program for surgical assisting. After successful completion, surgical technologist must pass an exam administered by The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting or the National Center for Competency for Competency Testing. Taking the exam requires submitting an application and paying a fee. Continuing education is required to maintain certification.
Salaries for Surgical Technicians in San AntonioIn 2013, the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimated salaries for surgical technologists in the San Antonio metropolitan area. The average salary was $39,220 per year or $12.22 per hour. Among 1,040 surgical technologists employed in the area, salaries ranged from $25,410 to $55,620 per year. Salaries vary by years of experience and type of employer. Surgical technicians not only work in hospitals, but also physician’s offices, dentist’s offices and outpatient care centers.
Matching School Ads
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (MSN)
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Master of Health Informatics
Surgical Technician Campuses in San Antonio
|Baptist School of Health Professions||8400 Datapoint Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229||bshp.edu|
|Concorde Career College||12606 Greenville Ave #130, Dallas, TX 75243||concorde.edu|
|San Antonio College||1819 N Main Ave, San Antonio, TX 78212||alamo.edu|