In the State of Virginia, to work closely with surgeons and nurses, you need a surgical technology certification. This certification is only provided through completing an accredited program successfully. The current national growth rate for surgical technicians is 25%, so choosing an accredited program can be especially valuable to getting your career going.
How To Get Certified In Virginia
The State of Virginia has certain certification requirements that you must meet before you are able to legally work as a surgical technician. The state’s requirements include gaining entry into a program and successfully completing the program. The program of your choice must be accredited by the Commission of Allied Health Education Programs and by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting.
For many individuals one main advantage that the State of Virginia has over other states in the field of surgical technology is that it does not require you to attain a certification license once you complete your coursework. All you need to do is to fully and successfully complete a community college degree or a training course. However, while there is no licensing necessary, a community college degree is the preferred option among employers because it provides you with credentials, more education, an ability to handle complex tasks, and it also increases the standing of the institution that you are employed at. Therefore, when making the choice for certification, the greater the education the greater the opportunity.
Salaries for Surgical Technicians in Virginia
Compared to other states, Virginia has very high salaries for surgical technologists in their state. The average annual salary for a surgical technology is $43,000. In addition, the greater credentials that you have the more experience, the higher your salary will be. It is all a matter of education, experience, and perseverance.
The State of Virginia currently does not boast a complicated process in terms of gaining employment as a surgical technician. By completing the program and all the required courses, you can begin your career in the field of surgical technology without issues. Just make sure that the program that you choose are fully accredited so that you get the credit you deserve.
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Surgical Technology - Associate's
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Surgical Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Science: Health Information Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Health Information Technology
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Master of Health Informatics
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Informatics Specialization
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (MSN)
Surgical Technician Campuses in Virginia
|American National University-Danville - Danville, VA||336 Old Riverside Drive|
Danville , VA - 24541
|American National University-Harrisonburg - Harrisonburg, VA||1515 Country Club Road|
Harrisonburg , VA - 22802
|Fortis College-Richmond - Richmond, VA||2000 Westmoreland Street|
Richmond , VA - 23230
|Miller-Motte Technical College-Lynchburg - Lynchburg, VA||1011 Creekside Lane|
Lynchburg , VA - 24502
|Piedmont Virginia Community College - Charlottesville, VA||501 College Drive|
Charlottesville , VA - 22902
|Riverside School of Health Careers - Newport News, VA||316 Main Street|
Newport News , VA - 23601
|Sentara College of Health Sciences - Chesapeake, VA||1441 Crossways Blvd.|
Chesapeake , VA - 23320
|Virginia College-Richmond - Richmond, VA||7200 Midlothian Turnpike|
Richmond , VA - 23225