Find Accredited Surgical Technician Schools in Houston
To work as a surgical technologist in Houston, you must complete a surgical technology training program. Depending on the school and if the program offers certificates or degrees, the program may last from one to two years. Students are advised to make sure that the program is accredited by either the ABHES or the CAAHEP because that’s a prerequisite for becoming certified. Surgical tech training includes lectures, lab classes and clinical rotations where students assist in a certain number of procedures in a supervised setting.
How to Get Certified in HoustonAlthough certification is not required in Texas, most employers prefer hiring techs that are certified. To be eligible for certification, you must have completed an accredited program and must pass a certification exam. You can earn the credential of Certified Surgical Technician or Surgical Technician First Assistant by passing an exam through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA). Another path towards certification is offered through the National Center for Competency Testing. They also offer a test you must pass.
Salaries for Surgical Technicians in HoustonDespite the fact that Texas ranks 2nd in terms of states with the highest level of employment of surgical technicians, surgical tech wages throughout most of Texas are below the national average, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, Salary.com reports that wages in Houston are slightly above the national average. As of September 2014, the average annual wage for surgical techs in Houston was $41,810. The lowest ten percent earned $34,036 while the highest ninety percent earned $50,608.
Matching School Ads
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
Surgical Technician Campuses in Houston
|Houston Community College||3100 Main St, Houston, TX 77002||http://www.hccs.edu/|
|Fortis College||West Oaks Mall, 1201 W Oaks Mall, Houston, TX 77082||https://www.fortis.edu/campuses/texas.aspx|
|College of Health Care Professions||240 Northwest Mall Blvd.|
Houston, TX 77092