Surgical Technician Schools in Las VegasSurgical technologists assist in surgical operations by preparing operating rooms, arranging equipment, and helping doctors during surgeries. Surgical technologists can also be referred to as operating technicians. They work as members of a healthcare team alongside physicians and surgeons, registered nurses, and other healthcare workers.
Before a surgery, surgical technologists prepare the operating room by sterilizing and setting up surgical instruments and equipment. They prepare patients for surgery by washing and disinfecting incision sites, positioning and draping patients, and transporting patients to and from the operating room. During an operation, they pass instruments and supplies to surgeons. When the surgery is complete, surgical technologists may apply bandages to the patient, transfer them out of the operating room, and restock the operating room for the next procedure.
Find Accredited Surgical Technician Schools in Las Vegas
Surgical technologists typically need a post secondary certificate or an associate's degree. Surgical technology programs usually include classes in anatomy, biology, medical terminology, and pharmacology. Additional classes include the care and safety of patients, sterilization techniques, preventing and controlling infection, and the set up of technical equipment.
The following schools offer accredited surgical technology programs in the state of Nevada: College of Southern Nevada and Nevada Career Institute.
How to Get Certified in Las Vegas
A surgical technologist may earn certification through two organizations. The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting offers a Certified Surgical Technician (CST) certification once an applicant completes an accredited program, passes an exam, and pays a fee. The National Center for Competency Testing offers a Tech in Surgery – Certified (NCCT) certification. There are several ways to obtain this certification such as a formal education, military training, or work experience. The applicant must also pass an exam and pay a fee. Both certifications require surgical technologists to complete continuing education to maintain the certification.
The state of Nevada does not currently require surgical technologists to become licensed.
Salaries for Surgical Technicians in Las VegasThe Bureau of Labor Statistics reports an annual mean wage for surgical technologists in Nevada of $54, 590 and an hourly mean wage of $26.25. The Las Vegas area employs the greatest density of surgical technologists in the state and reports an annual mean wage of $56,750.
Matching School Ads
- See how you could play a crucial role in healthcare with a Medical Assisting degree
- This degree program is available in both English and Spanish
- Offers scholarships to qualified active-duty personnel, retirees & dependents
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Associate of Science in Surgical Technology
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography-Concentration in General and Vascular Sonography
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- And more...
Locations: Fort Lauderdale
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Surgical Technician Campuses in Las Vegas
|College of Southern Nevada||6375 W.Charleston Blvd.|
Las Vegas , NV - 89146
|Nevada Career Institute||3231 N Decatur Blvd|
Las Vegas , NV - 89130