Surgical Technician Schools in Las VegasSurgical technologists assist in surgical operations by preparing operating rooms, arranging equipment, and helping doctors during surgeries. Surgical technologists can also be referred to as operating technicians. They work as members of a healthcare team alongside physicians and surgeons, registered nurses, and other healthcare workers.
Before a surgery, surgical technologists prepare the operating room by sterilizing and setting up surgical instruments and equipment. They prepare patients for surgery by washing and disinfecting incision sites, positioning and draping patients, and transporting patients to and from the operating room. During an operation, they pass instruments and supplies to surgeons. When the surgery is complete, surgical technologists may apply bandages to the patient, transfer them out of the operating room, and restock the operating room for the next procedure.
Find Accredited Surgical Technician Schools in Las Vegas
Surgical technologists typically need a post secondary certificate or an associate's degree. Surgical technology programs usually include classes in anatomy, biology, medical terminology, and pharmacology. Additional classes include the care and safety of patients, sterilization techniques, preventing and controlling infection, and the set up of technical equipment.
The following schools offer accredited surgical technology programs in the state of Nevada: College of Southern Nevada and Nevada Career Institute.
How to Get Certified in Las Vegas
A surgical technologist may earn certification through two organizations. The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting offers a Certified Surgical Technician (CST) certification once an applicant completes an accredited program, passes an exam, and pays a fee. The National Center for Competency Testing offers a Tech in Surgery – Certified (NCCT) certification. There are several ways to obtain this certification such as a formal education, military training, or work experience. The applicant must also pass an exam and pay a fee. Both certifications require surgical technologists to complete continuing education to maintain the certification.
The state of Nevada does not currently require surgical technologists to become licensed.
Salaries for Surgical Technicians in Las VegasThe Bureau of Labor Statistics reports an annual mean wage for surgical technologists in Nevada of $54, 590 and an hourly mean wage of $26.25. The Las Vegas area employs the greatest density of surgical technologists in the state and reports an annual mean wage of $56,750.
Matching School Ads
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Master of Health Informatics
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- B.S. in Health Information Management
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
Surgical Technician Campuses in Las Vegas
|College of Southern Nevada||6375 W.Charleston Blvd.|
Las Vegas , NV - 89146
|Nevada Career Institute||3231 N Decatur Blvd|
Las Vegas , NV - 89130