There is a demand for certified surgical technicians, who are an integral part of any surgical team. Nurses, surgeons and anesthesiologists depend on surgical techs to help with patient care before and after surgery.
The field of surgical technology is expected to grow considerably, so there will continue to be a need for them. Surgical tech responsibilities include sterilizing instruments, making the necessary patient preparations, passing instruments, following the instructions from the surgeon, and monitoring the patient’s condition and vital signs.
Find Accredited Surgical Technician Schools in Mississippi
Anyone interested in going to a surgical tech school in Mississippi must have a high school diploma or GED. There are some programs that require a specific score on an entrance examination. Schooling can take anywhere from nine months to two years.
How to Get Certified in Mississippi
After getting an Associate’s degree in surgical technology from a school accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Educated Programs or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools, a student can qualify for national certification. Many hospitals hire only certified surgical techs. There are two types of certification:
1. The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting offers the Certified Surgical Technician examination
2. The National Center for Competency Testing offers a certification for Tech in Surgery – Certified
The CST certification must be renewed every four years, and the TS-C every five years. The renewal can be gotten by re-examination or continuing education.
Salaries for Surgical Technicians in Mississippi
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the starting salary for a surgical tech is about $24,000.
Some career figures for surgical technologist professionals in Mississippi:
1. Average annual salary: $32,340
2. Employment outlook: 25 percent
3. Jackson and Gulfport have the highest median salaries
4. Hattiesburg and Gulfport have the highest percentage of jobs
5. Pascagoula and Jackson have the lowest percentage of jobs
6. Jackson and Gulfport have the highest absolute number of jobs
[qs_listing areaofinterest=”SURGICAL-TECHNOLOGY,HEALTHCARE-TECHNOLOGY” state=”MS” multidealer=”yes”]
[table id=50 /]